Saturday, January 3, 2009

13 more posts and a Happy New Year!

I was so far behind! Please enjoy the next 13 posts. They take you on a journey with Leah from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

The conclusion of 2008 was a time for reflection. It is bittersweet to see it come to a close. 2008 brought us the biggest blessing we could ever imagine. We always knew that we wanted to be parents some day but never imagined how amazing it would be. Leah has forever changed our lives. As we look back on the pictures over the last 6 months, we are in awe at how much she has grown. Yes, we know that is what babies do but it has happened right under our nose. She went from being so tiny and helpless to "just sit me down and let me play". She used to swim in size newborn but wore a 6-9 month outfit the other day. She now gives kisses on command (repeatedly, ha-ha) and is the most lovable baby a mom could ask for. She can erase a bad day with a simple hug and remind you what is really important. She has brought us even closer to family members as we all share in our love for her. I cannot thank God enough for blessing us with her. Jeff and I were talking the other day and mentioned that we cannot remember what life was like before her. Isn't that something to think about? Almost 30 years before her and 6 months with her and those last 6 months managed to capture it all!

I also took the time to reflect on how thankful we are for all of our family and friends that have stood by us. July was crazy! Leah was born and I had an unexpected hospital stay. Poor Jeff was pulled like never before between his brand new baby and his wife. Thanks to family, he was able to stay with me and we could know that our little girl was in good hands. Even once I came home, the help was SO appreciated! I don't know what we would have done without the extra sets of hands (and hearts). Thank you to the girlfriends that were there for the "can I ask you a question" conversations, all of the new mommy advice and the laughs. Jeff and I are also very thankful that we were able to find childcare for Leah that we are both comfortable with. I knew leaving her to go back to work was going to be hard but oh my! It was ridiculously hard. There is never a time that I wouldn't rather be with my girl. Tanya has helped me adjust and had the utmost patience for me and all of my "new mom" requirements. There have also been all of those times that we have needed fill-in child care or had an evening commitment and needed someone to stay with Leah. Everyone has been great by being willing to come to our home and play with her. I am pretty sure all of the grandparents, aunts and friends have enjoyed it just as much as Leah but we really appreciate it. It really helps to know that she is in good hands.

I have always known that I am a lucky lady. I have a great husband that I love very much. But, 2008 has helped me to realize that even more. He stepped up to take care of me like we never expected and did it without blinking. I see him with Leah and I am just amazed. He picked her up for the first time just minutes after she was born and he has not been the same since. She is his world. There have been many times that I have just stopped to watch them together. He realized the other day when she made a pouty face that he is already wrapped around her finger. He jumped to her without even realizing it and then had to laugh. He has "no chance" as he put it. He affirms for me that being a wife and mother is what I am meant to do, this lawyer thing just helps to pay the bills.

Thank you to all of you for being part of our 2008 and our lives. We hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. All of our best from our family to yours. I am sure 2009 will be an adventure and we are excited to experience it!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Joni and Jeff - thanks for posting the pictures! They are great! It is amazing watching Leah grow. Hopefully, one day soon, we can all get together. In the meantime though, I really appreciate being able to watch her grow. Joni, I am proud of you too. You have grown just as much as Leah this past year. You are a wonderful mom! XO-Kristin