Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hospital Tour


It is getting close……we went on a tour of the maternity ward last night. We will be delivering at St. Vincent Carmel. Yes, I am well aware that the baby has to come out sometime and that we will be 35 weeks along tomorrow BUT….somehow last night was still overwhelming. We went into a labor and delivery room where they have the warmers for the baby and saw some newborns in the nursery. The lullaby sounded off over the PA system indicating the birth of a new baby and there were families waiting in the waiting rooms. All sights and sounds that were not surprising, but nevertheless, reminders of things to come – soon.

We are both very pleased with the services offered by the hospital and the wonderful staff. The nurses were wonderful when I was in triage for IV’s earlier in the pregnancy. They explained everything well and were very attentive. I can only imagine that they will continue to do the same. We also ran into our doctor last night while he was on rounds. It was nice to see that he recognized us out of the office setting. I have my fingers crossed that he is on call when I go into labor but will be happy with any of the doctors in his practice. The only disappointing part of the tour was discovering that I have to leave my big wonderful labor and delivery room to move to a post-partum room just a few hours after delivery. The bigger room would obviously be more comfortable and accommodating for having visitors but it isn’t a big deal. I am sure that will be the very last thing on our mind once the big day gets here.


This is the picture of the labor/delivery room from the St. Vincent website. There is a separate area for the baby warmer so they can keep us all together after the delivery.

Jeff was rather excited to see the cookie warmer in the big lounge and the snack room. He said the other day that he would have a runner to get us food in case labor is long. He had no idea that I couldn’t eat until I told him he would be walking on thin ice if he brought food in and ate it in front of me, ha-ha. I plan to be a nice wife and let him go eat but the hormones of labor are unknown and I am not making any major promises quite yet, ha-ha.

We have a labor and delivery express class tomorrow night. It is supposed to be a little bit about everything. We opted for that rather than the full blown classes because I just wanted an overview and Jeff’s rotating work schedule makes it difficult to sign up for a weekly class.

Hopefully everyone is enjoying this beautiful weather!

No comments: